An incorrect badge count on WhatsApp is usually caused by an issue with your phone. Please try these troubleshooting steps:
- Ask your friend to send you a new WhatsApp message. This will automatically refresh the message count.
- Tap and hold on the WhatsApp icon and drag it to the delete icon (mostly located on the top of the screen), then drag a new icon out of your app drawer.
- Uninstall WhatsApp. Go to Settings > Application manager or Apps > All > BadgeProvider or your notification count app, tap Clear Data, then re-install WhatsApp.
- Go to Settings > Developer options and uncheck Do not keep activities. If you do not have developer options, skip this.
- Go to Settings > Application manager or Apps > All > WhatsApp and tap Clear Data. You will have to reverify your phone number.
Notifications badge count is a functionality provided by your launcher and is not a function of WhatsApp. If you continue to experience issues, please contact your device manufacturer.
Find out how to get message counts on your app here.
WhatsApp Support Team