- It is possible to restore messages.
- First, uninstall and then reinstall WhatsApp.
- Click Restore when prompted to restore your message history.
- Your missing chats should appear in WhatsApp!
Backing up your messages
If you have a Blackberry 10 device, your WhatsApp conversations are saved automatically every day at 4AM (your local time). Backup files are saved by default on the phone's internal memory, but only given that there is enough free space. You can also manually back up your chats at any time:
- Open WhatsApp > Application Menu (Swipe down from the top of the screen to see it).
- Tap Settings > Media Settings > Backup conversations.
Restoring your messages
If you are deleting and reinstalling WhatsApp, you will be prompted with a message to import your backup after you first open your new copy of WhatsApp. Tap Restore and your chat history should appear. Make sure you import your chat history before the file expires, as backup files are only valid for 7 days after last saved.
Restoring older (less recent) backups
Before attempting to restore messages from an older backup, please note:
- Current chat history will be lost upon restoration.
- There are only up to 7 days worth of backup files.
- Any new messages sent/received after a backup, and deleted before the next backup, cannot be restored.
- If you run a manual backup, it will overwrite the most recent automatic backup file.
We also recommend:
- If you do not want to lose your current history (newest messages), create a manual backup by going to:
WhatsApp > Application Menu (Swipe down the top of the screen) > Settings > Media Settings > Backup conversations.
- This manual backup will create a backup file in the folder:
- The backup file name is "messageStore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt, rename this file as "messageStore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt.current" so you do not get it confused with other backup files during the restoration process.
To restore from a backup, follow these steps:
- Uninstall WhatsApp.
- Decide which backup file you want to restore.
- Rename that with the most recent date in it's name.
- Install WhatsApp.
- When asked to restore, tap Restore.
You will now be able to see your restored messages. If you want to revert the restoration, simply change the backup filename back to what it was and reinstall WhatsApp then restore your chats.
WhatsApp Support Team