The Change Number feature allows you to change the phone number associated with your WhatsApp account on your same phone. This feature is intended to be used before you verify your new number. If you have a new phone number and a new phone, please read this FAQ.
Using the Change Number feature in WhatsApp will:
- Migrate your account payment status, groups, and profile to the new number.
- Preserve and continue the chat history with the new phone number as long as you continue using the same phone.
- Delete the account associated with your old number, so your contacts will no longer see your old number in their WhatsApp contacts lists.
Before beginning the Change Number process
- Make sure your new phone number can receive SMS and/or calls and has an active data connection.
- Make sure your old phone number is currently verified in WhatsApp on your phone. You can find the number currently verified on WhatsApp by going to the Payment Info screen (WhatsApp > Menu Button > Settings > Account > Payment info).
Note: When you change your WhatsApp phone number, your contacts will not individually be informed of the change. Only participants that share group chats with you will see that you changed your number. For a seamless messaging experience, notify your contacts that your number will be changing before you begin this process.
Changing your phone number
To change your phone number within WhatsApp, follow these steps:
- Insert the new SIM card with the new number into your device.
- Open WhatsApp.
- Check if your old phone number is currently verified in WhatsApp by going to WhatsApp > Menu Button > Settings > Account > Payment info.
- Go to WhatsApp > Menu Button > Settings > Account > Change number.
- Enter your old phone number in the top box.
- Enter your new phone number in the bottom box.
- Tap Done at the top of the screen.
- You will be prompted to verify your new phone number.
WhatsApp Support Team